Monday, March 15, 2010

Preparations for the slab supreme...

So we went out tonight to check out our little patch of dirt... it's a lovely balmy night here in Werribee.

This is what we found when we went to the block...




Bay and Jake are at the front of the block, and Mick and Damo are standing at the back of the house.
It has hit us now how exciting this is!

While we were there, we took some time to have a gossip with the nextdoor neighbour, Pete. Bailey took some time out to meet the neighbourhood animals. Pete has already invited us to visit and swim in his pool... lets see how long that lasts!



It is amazing to see how large this house is really going to be. We now realise that the backyard is going to be substantially smaller than we have imagined! The pool is still on the cards, but I'm seeing a healthy lawn area, which will actually be maintainable.

We have learned that the neighbourhood is extremely friendly. Pete knows everyone in the immediate vicinity. The neighbourhood children are all grown up now (ie. 19 and 20 is the youngest - and we've been offered babysitters too!) and the householders have been there since the start of the estate - they are all yet to sell up and move from the area. This makes us feel very comfortable.

Another comforting fact is that Pete tells us the neighbourhood is majority Italian and Greek families. We should fit in quite well with our backgrounds. And thankfully they should be quite loud also so they won't be so shocked with the noise that we bring!

Interesting to see Pete's dog, Rambo, gave us a welcoming bark (I think it was a standing ovation actually!) but only after we'd been standing out the front talking to him for around 15 minutes... Rambo is a small fluffy dog, quite funny to hear such a butch name for such a pretty little fluffy dog. Max and Jessie will have a ball talking to Rambo at night. We were planning on having a dog run down the vacant side of the house (well, I was planning that!) however if Jessie talks to Rambo this will change as our bedroom is on that side. The little wench will do anything to be sleeping inside... and if it kills me, I will make her live outside, damn it!

Back to the dig ... they've cut out a massive chunk for the alfresco area... this is because it has to have the extra reinforcement columns as it is the most unstable area of the block... Mick wants me to say that is where the pool is going however I don't think anyone will believe that...

Anyway, we're officially now paying 2 mortgages so for any of you reading this that have decided we should be going out for tea with you, or who are thinking of initiating a party weekend ... sorry, for the next 10 months or so, we're officially out of action financially. And stuff it, if I'm not allowed to get another tattoo until the house is finished, then lets be fair, we can't spend unneccessary money either. Hubby is also looking into joint life insurance policies for us, which the olds will be happy to hear about. I'm not planning on having him topped, and hopefully he's not planning on having someone do it to me either...


In other unneccessary money spending news, I have subscribed to Burkes Backyard magazine and I'm actually really excited about it. I think I'm getting old. But at least this will hopefully make more of a handyman out of me (oops ... my husband) and will give us some awesome ideas for the gardens... (no I won't be requiring anyone's geranium offcuts thanks!) This decision came after an enlightening afternoon last weekend watching Gardening Australia on ABC while Mick was playing Playstation 3 with the boys... but figured I'm not 85 so Gardening Australia is not the magazine of choice for me... but the show was UNREAL! Very embarrassed to admit that...

I'm actually pondering going to Bunnings and getting some fruit trees and raising them in pots for a while, so that when we go to move in, I have something that isn't a baby tree and can tolerate dog bites. After all, I have spent 2 years talking to the apple tree here, and pleading with it to love me, and grow just that little bit taller ... well the apple tree is taller than the fence now (actually, by around 1/2 a metre!) and it FINALLY has produced its first apple. And now we're moving ... so once again, the tradition of Cathy not benefiting from her vegies and fruits continues. (this is a saga that extends years into my past, i will reflect on it one day while we have a povvo dinner or something if you wish to know - although I promise, no sausages!)

Slab pour is booked for March 24. We have a neighbourhood relative that is almost as excited as us, and who actually saw the block today before us ... and I'm sure if anything happens inbetween now and then we will certainly know about it!

Donations to the mortgage fund are now being sought. We really don't want to sell the house we live in before we have to, so we have chosen to just struggle through it. Let me know if you wish to contribute, I can send you our bank account details quickly before you change your mind and realise what the hell you're doing... He he he.

No comments:

Post a Comment